Saturday, February 19, 2005

Pick up and knit

I was wondering where to start, being new to this blogger thing. Figured the best place is to start where I am and fill in the details from there. My name is Tempe and I am blessed to live in this really beautiful blip on the map called Ancramdale, NY, in the place where New York, Massachusetts and Connecticut meet. Not far from places like Tanglewood, and the Berkshires. Any bluegrass and folk fans might recognize the Grey Fox, Winterhawk, and Falcon Ridge music festivals that happen here, three in a row in the summer.

I live here with my hubby, Billy, and three great kids - Winter(dd6), Shane (ds4) and Morgan(ds15mos). We've been homeschooling since the fall (04) so you're sure to hear about that here too.

My mom, who is an amazing knitter (yes, i'm biased!) first taught me to knit when I was about 8yrs old. I knit a little garter stitch blanket for my barbie doll. It had a strip of bright orange on either side and a rainbow multicolor strip in the middle ( yup, a bit ugly, but hey! ) Then I don't think I knit again until college. Got a Lopi sweater kit from Mom for my b-day and away I went, needles flying. I loved it! One thing though, I started out making a Women's size large, and somewhere along the way ended up following the Men's large directions! Agh! Needless to say I ended up with a HUGE but beautiful sweater. Enter Mom to save the day. She cut that thing across the middle and cut off the sleeves midway down, ripped it out until it was the right length and sewed it back together again. I was impressed!

I've knit on and off over the years, and with the kids coming along, it got harder to find the time (and free) hands to knit. But just recently over the holidays I've found myself recharged and back in the knit again.

I get an online newsletter from Claudia at Countrywool, a LYS near me in Hudson, NY (countrywool.com) and read how she was racing to finish up her WIPs before New Year's, and anything left after the New Year she rips out. That inspired me. I've been digging around, finding all my old WIPs and playing Finish or Rip That WIP! I like this! Who needs the guilt of unfinished projects laying around? Rip the ones I don't like, knit on with the ones I do.

Well, enough for now. Baby's up! :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home