Monday, March 21, 2005

It's spring!

It's 36 degrees and raining lightly this morning, but that doesn't dampen my excitement that it's spring! Woohoo! I went out for an early morning walk yesterday, and kept thinking "It's the first day of spring!" That thought alone fills me with HOPE, because if it's spring then warm weather is not far behind. Even the fact that it's raining is good news, because it's not SNOW! Don't get me wrong, I love the wintertime, too, but I'm always happy to see the spring arrive.

As I was out walking yesterday, I was thinking, this hasn't seemed like such a long winter this year....maybe because...I've been home full time and homeschooling (I know, some would say that could make it seem like a very long winter), so I haven't had to get my daughter up and out the door for school, and me and the boys out the door for work/daycare.

We went to the Audubon in Sharon, CT for their Maplefest on Saturday. It was fun and really interesting. We learned about tapping the trees and how old they have to be and saw how they boil the sap down into syrup and, of course, got a taste and heard a storyteller around a campfire telling a story about how sap/syrup first might have been discovered.

We unschool - which basically means that instead of following a particular curriculum and having a sit-down lesson learning time, we follow the kids leads as to what they're interested in and learn that way (as well as sprinkle their path with interesting and fun stuff and go with that too if it sparks their interest), so learning is happening all the time. We were talking about yesterday being the first day of spring. Then I remembered that meant it was the spring equinox too...I mentioned that and we ended up talking about what equinox means and how the day is the same length as night, where the winter solstice was when it was the longest night and the shortest day. We've been noticing how the days have been getting longer. I'm just always fascinated at how learning really does happen all the time.

I've been knitting on the diagonal garter throw every chance I get. Also did a swatch for a sweater I want to design for my daughter. I have this beautiful blue ("Larkspur") yarn from Green Mtn Spinnery that I picked up on sale in Maine a few years ago. I did the swatch in a lacy pattern called "Homes" I found in a Mon Tricot book I have. Came out just like I hoped. Can't wait to start the sweater.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home