Wednesday, March 30, 2005

We were out running errands yesterday and I talked the kids into a trip to the LYS to exchange a skein of yarn I decided wasn't going to work for the diagonal garter blanket. They were out of the shade I was hoping to find, but i found another pretty one with shades of blue/purple/green. I keep knitting away on the blanket. I am loving knitting it - the colours are like eye candy to me - every time I work on it I think that! Mmmm! ( I hope that phrase is not just supposed to be used in terms of sex!)

Made myself sit down for 15 minutes and work on the nuts and bolts of this sweater I have in mind for my daughter. Like I said, I knitted a swatch with the "homes" pattern about 2 weeks ago, and I've been anxious to get it on the needles, but i kept putting off figuring out the #of stitches and how many pattern repeats that would fit and how many leftover stitches and how I want to do the buttonband. I have a couple simple cardigan patterns for kids, but they all do the front and back in three separate pieces and I am really determined to knit it up as seamless as possible, so I wanted to take time to figure out how to do that - so of course that all got my head spinning and I've been avoiding it...while still really wanting to start it! So today I did like Flylady says "I can do anything for 15 minutes" - I set 15 minutes aside to get started. And wouldn't you know, that did it. So with any luck tomorrow I'll be casting on 130 st. and going from there.

Who's Flylady you ask? Check her out at www.flylady.net .

Today was a gorgeous spring day in the 50's, made all the better because it followed two solid days of rain ( I forgot it could rain that long!). Our yard is a mass of puddles (read "ponds") and streams. Kid heaven. Me and the kids were out there late morning. Morgan was checking out the water like any 16 month old would - wading right in and saying "mmDat?mmDat?" (translated "What's that?") over and over- fascinated by the water. Meanwhile Winter and Shane were playing in the stream by the side of the road continuing a game from yesterday of hunting for "seasoned fish" and x-ray fish. I stood taking this all in and once again was so grateful my kids can be home here and outside in the middle of the day on a day like this instead of in school. Don't get me wrong, I'm not someone who thinks schools are all bad and I know homeschooling is not something that everybody can or would want to do. It's something that works for us. My gratitude comes partly from remembering that last year when my daughter was in kindergarten she was gone from 8am to 4pm and sometimes longer because I was working full time and that's a LONG day for a little kid. So it's a blessing to be able to have her outside playing, exploring, and learning on a beautiful day like this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home